Thursday, June 18, 2009

Sometimes I'm Bombaloo




Author: RAchel Vail

Type or emotional/crisis issue(s) addressed: Anger Controll

Year of Publication: 2002

Publisher & Location: Scholastic Inc., Singapore

ISBN#: 0439669413
978-0439669412

Target Age Level: Beginning

# of Pages: 32

Quality of Illustrations: Good

Brief Summary:
katie talks about how she's generally a good person: "...I'm a really good kid. I smile a lot because usually I'm happy, and I give excellent hugs."
"But," she explains, "sometimes I'm Bombaloo." She shows her teeth, makes fierce noises and scrunches up her face." I use my feet and my fists instead of my words." After a time-out, she'll calm down and apologize to her brother. The book doesn't minimize the strength of the feelings: "While she is Bombaloo, she is not sorry, she is angry and hates everything and everyone. After Katie calms down she is sorry and a little frightened. She says that it is scary being Bombaloo. Her mother hugs her and helps her to clean up the mess.

The book neither excuses nor judges Bombaloo-style anger. Instead, it shows the feelings that occur before, during, and after it, and offers parents and kids the hope of resolution.

Activity: The child could list what makes them angry and then identify ways they could calm down.

No comments: